facebook icon
Skip to content

2022-23 RCC Catalog

RCC 2022-23 Catalog

Academic Information

Academic standing


Academic difficulty results when a student is not maintaining academic standards by earning at least a 2.0 grade point average each term and completing 66.67% of their term attempted credits. A student whose term grade point average is below 2.0, and/ or who does not complete 66.67% percent of their term attempted credits will be placed first on Academic Alert I and second on Academic Alert II, and eventually will be academically suspended if academic difficulty continues. NOTE: For the complete Academic Standing Standards, see the Policies section of this catalog.

Choosing a Major

RCC Advising Case Managers are available to help undecided students identify a major that will support their academic and career goals.
For the initial declaration of major, please consider the following:

Certificate programs and Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees prepare students for specific careers and do not include general education requirements for transfer to a four-year college or university.

Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university in Oregon, but are undecided about a specific major or focus, should declare the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree (AAOT).

Associate of Science (AS) degrees are focused in a specific area, are articulated with one or more Oregon universities, and allow students to transfer to those institutions.

A student pursuing a certificate or degree that is “limited entry," including Alcohol and Drug Counselor, Dental Assistant, EMS/Paramedicine, Human Services, Massage Therapy, Medical Assistant, Medical Office Assistant, Nursing, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy, and Practical Nursing should list Associate of General Studies (AGS) as their first major before being admitted to the program, and the limited entry program as the second major. An AGS. degree may also be customized to be the first two years of a four-year degree and allows elective credits to be targeted toward the intended bachelor’s degree.

Academic department faculty advisors can help students identify career goals within their declared majors and can provide information on local vocational trends in their fields.

At registration each term, students are required to verify that the major(s) in their academic record accurately represents the degree or certificate they are pursuing.

Example student transcript

Course Credit hours Grade Grade points
Biology and Lab 4 A 16
Figure drawing 3 C 6
Mathematics 3 F


10 total credit hours attempted

22 total grade points

To calculate GPA, the total grade points are divided by total credit hours attempted.

Total grade points:

Total credit hours attempted:

divided by 22
= 2.20

Course grading

Program courses

The quality of student work in most core program courses is measured by a system of grades consisting of five letter grades which are used in calculating grade point average. Instructors may assign a plus or minus to grades A, B, C or D. Plus and minus do not calculate into a student’s grade point average.
A (Superior) 4 points
B (Above average) 3 points
C (Average) 2 points
D (Below average) 1 point
F (No credit) 0 points
NOTE: A "D" or "F" grade are non-passing grades and will not satisfy prerequisite or program requirements.

Academic success courses

Pass (“P”) or No Pass (“NP”) are used for most academic success classes. A “P” grade indicates the student has earned a “C” or better.
Generally “P” and “NP” grades may not be used for individual students in core program courses, nor are "A" through "F" grades used for students in academic success classes. An NP grade does not satisfy pre-requisites.

Grade point average calculation

Your grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total amount of grade points earned by the total amount of credit hours attempted. Your grade point average may range from 0.0 to 4.0.

For example:
A = 4 grade points
B = 3 grade points
C = 2 grade points
D = 1 grade point
F = 0 grade points
Pass/No Pass (P/NP) courses are not factored in the student's GPA. I (Incomplete), R (Retaken Course), Y (grade pending), AU (Audit), and W (Withdrawals) do not receive grade points.

Other grades

  • Audit (AU) is an enrollment status which allows students to take classes but not receive credit or a grade. Students who choose this option should do so when registering. Students receiving financial aid should consult with their Financial Aid Advisor. (Financial aid will not pay for audits.)
  • Pending (Y) is used to indicate a grade has not been posted by an instructor.
  • Incomplete (I) may be assigned when a student has successfully completed at least 75 percent of the coursework and a prolonged excusable absence causes inability to finish the course by the end of the term. Faculty are not required to grant an I grade.
    Students are required to complete the coursework within one term in term- length classes. Otherwise, the grade is automatically changed to an F or the assigned grade as noted on the incomplete form.
  • Withdrawal (W) is assigned when a student officially withdraws from a class after the second Monday of the term, or for classes with irregular meeting dates after completing one third of the course. Students may withdraw any time until Friday of the eighth week. Grades of W are not included in GPA calculations.

Last date of attendance

Faculty are required to report a last date of attendance when they submit a non-passing grade. Non-passing grades are F and NP. The last date of attendance is determined in this manner:

Seat Class: last date of in-person attendance.
Online Class: last date that a student submitted an assignment or test.

Retaking a course

Only the highest grade (defined by grade points) will be counted towards a student’s (GPA) calculation for classes that are retaken. All classes and grades will remain on the student's transcript, but only the higher grade will be included in the grade point average (GPA) calculation. The lower grades will have ** symbols next to the grade. This applies only to grades that are included in GPA calculations, not W, Y, NP, P, I or AU grades. Retaking a previously passed course is aid-eligible only once. Notify Financial Aid Advising before registering in a class passed twice so that aid can be adjusted prior to payment.

This process requires that students submit the Repeat Course form available at RCC Enrollment Forms for Students.

Course numbering

  • Personal Enrichment. Courses with numbers below 1.000 (e.g., .601 and .200) are considered to be personal enrichment courses and are not intended for program completion or transfer and are not financial-aid eligible.
  • Academic Success. Courses with letters (e.g. CIS, CG, MTH, RD, WR) followed by numbers of less than 100 (e.g., MTH20) are generally considered academic success courses and are sometimes financial-aid eligible.
  • Career Technical Education (CTE). Courses identified by the following prefixes: AH, AM, APR, BT, CIS, CPL, DA, DDM, DS, ECE, EET, EMS, ES, FRP, HC, HS, MEC, MET, MFG, MT, NRS, PN, PRX, SRV, WLD are career and technical courses. Most of these courses apply to career and technical degrees and certificates at RCC. They are financial-aid eligible if required or are an approved elective of an aid eligible program.
  • Occupational Supplementary. These courses, numbered 9.xxx (e.g., 9.263), are designed to upgrade the skills of workers currently employed in occupations or industries. These courses generally do not lead to a degree or certificate. Continuing education units (CEUs), a form of recognition given to units of training, are often given in lieu of credit and are generally not financial-aid eligible.
  • Lower Division Collegiate. These courses that are generally accepted by four-year colleges are identified with letters and numbers (e.g., WR121), with the exception of courses with the career and technical prefixes previously listed and are generally financial-aid eligible.

Credits earned through other programs

Submit documentation as outlined below.

A minimum of 12 credits toward any one-year certificate program and a minimum of 24 credits toward any two-year degree must be earned at RCC.

Transfer credit

Submit all official transcripts and declare a major at RCC.

RCC accepts 100-level and above lower-division collegiate courses from regionally accredited colleges when they meet the following transfer credit acceptance criteria:

  • Are graded C- or better.
  • Apply to an RCC program.
  • Have credit/contact hours, curriculum and outcomes that are equivalent to courses offered at RCC, are graded on a similar basis and taught by qualified professionals.
  • Meet the above criteria or are otherwise deemed appropriate substitutions for RCC courses.

Courses from non-accredited institutions must meet the criteria listed above to be considered for transfer acceptance. Prospective students who want to transfer-in courses from non-accredited institutions must produce evidence of the above criteria to RCC department chairs or program coordinators for review and possible credit award.

College-level courses taken in countries other than the United States need to be evaluated by a member of the NACES accredited agency and then compared to the RCC transfer credit acceptance criteria. A list of current National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) members may be found online at www.naces.org. Students may use the NACES member of their choice for a course-by-course or comprehensive evaluation, including grades.

Dual Credit

Dual Credit requires students to submit a completed RCC application online. Contact your high school counselor/liaison for assistance, or the dual credit program coordinator at [email protected] with questions.

College Now

The College Now program allows high school students to earn college credit for free in selected high school classes at the same time they are earning credit toward their high school diploma. College Now courses are taught at the high school by high school teachers. These teachers work with RCC academic departments, including CTE, to align the content of the high school class with the rigor of the college class. Schools may apply college credit earned to the high school diploma.

Early College

This dual enrollment program allows high school students at participating high schools to become traditional RCC students during their high school years. Early College students take RCC campus or online courses taught by RCC instructors with the intention of completing an RCC certificate or education plan of study. High schools approve students to enroll in college courses and may grant college credit towards the student’s high school diploma. Approved Early College classes are subject to be billed to the high schools at a discounted rate.

Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

Credits earned through these various programs do not count toward the minimum number of credits that the college requires to be completed at RCC toward certificate and degree requirements, nor are they an eligible basis for financial aid. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the appropriate department chair and the RCC chief academic officer. No more than 25 percent of total program credits may come from credits granted for prior learning. Visit the RCC Enrollment Services Forms for Students page for required forms.

American Council on Education (ACE)

RCC only accepts ACE credit recommendations for awarding military credit. Credits awarded based on ACE credit recommendations are considered Credit for Prior Learning (CPL). See the Military course credit section.

Challenge Exam

Currently enrolled students pursuing an approved program of study at RCC are eligible to petition for a challenge exam if it is available through the academic department. Contact the department chair or coordinator for availability. Successful challenge exam results apply to program requirements at RCC but do not count toward cumulative RCC credits, GPA, or financial aid eligibility. Full tuition and college fees are charged. The Challenge Exam Form is available at the link.

Placement Exams

In addition to RCC’s Placement Process, the following charts list additional information for transfer and new students.

Advanced Placement Exam Chart
AP credit can be earned in high school for college-level classes based on successful completion of AP exams offered through the College Board. Submit official AP score reports from www.Collegeboard.org.

International Baccalaureate Exam (IB) Chart

IB credit can be earned in some high schools for college-level classes upon successful completion of the IB Exam. Submit an official IB score report from www.ibo.org.

College Level Exam Program Chart (CLEP)
Students can receive credit for knowledge gained outside of a formal college environment. CLEP credit can be earned upon successful completion of the CLEP exam offered through College Board. See the CLEP chart for passing scores and recognized subject areas. Submit an official CLEP score report from www.Collegeboard.org. RCC is not a CLEP testing center. See the College Board website for current testing center locations.


DANTES (DSST) scores will be individually reviewed by the department for possible credit award toward programs at RCC. Students submit official exam reports.

Industry Certifications Inservice Training credit

Credit is awarded by certain academic departments for successful completion of standardized competencies and training obtained through recognized career experience in addition to college coursework. These are Apprenticeship; Early Childhood Education; Emergency Medical Services; Fire Science, and Industrial Welding.

These trainings have been determined to be identical in content and proficiency requirements to content taught in college classrooms as part of degree programs. Requirements for documenting such competencies differ slightly between departments. Students should contact the appropriate department chair or program coordinator for more information. Students pay $10 per credit for credit awarded in this manner.

Military course credit

Military course credit is granted based on the guidance of the American Council on Education’s “Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces” and recommendations from department chairs. At least 3 credits of health and physical education are awarded for completing basic training. An Official Joint Services transcript must be submitted.  At RCC, military courses are considered transfer credit.

Portfolio credit

Some departments may allow credit for prior learning based on portfolio development and review, a process that allows students to demonstrate mastery to earn college credit for existing RCC classes by submitting a written portfolio as evidence of relevant experiential learning for faculty assessment.

Portfolio credit is based only on the assessment of documents; it is not a graded process. If students must receive a letter grade, they may apply for credit through the challenge exam process or register for the actual class.

Portfolio credit is awarded to students only as part of a current degree or certificate program based on departmental approval. It is awarded course by course, not in blocks. Students may be required to enroll in CPL120, a course that guides them through the portfolio process. To be eligible for portfolio review, students must have completed at least 12 non-CPL credits at RCC and be enrolled in at least three credits at the time application is made.

Honor rolls

Rogue Community College recognizes superior academic achievement in college level classes through a President’s List and a Vice President's List. To earn inclusion a student must complete all in one term at least 12 college-level RCC credits or more (numbered 100 or higher), that are graded A-F, and meet the following criteria:

  • President’s List: 4.0 term GPA.
  • Vice President’s List: 3.5 term GPA.

Courses graded Pass/No Pass are not included in GPA calculations and do not count toward the 12 college-level RCC credit requirement for the honor rolls. See “GPA calculation” above.

Institutional award of degrees and certificates

RCC will grant two-year associate degrees, one-year certificates, less than one-year certificates and career pathway certificates, when the college recognizes that a student has completed necessary credits, regardless of whether the student applied to receive the degree or certificate. Students must be sure that a major in their academic record accurately represents the degree or certificate they are pursuing. To attend the June Commencement ceremony, students must submit a graduation application by February.

Report cards

End of term grades are available online by Thursday of the week following the end of each term.

Social Security disclosure statement

Oregon Administrative Rule 589-004-0400 authorizes RCC to ask students to provide their Social Security numbers. Numbers will be used by the college for reporting, research, recordkeeping, extending credit and collecting debts.

Numbers also will be provided by the college to the Data for Analysis (D4A), which is a group consisting of all community colleges in Oregon, the Oregon Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development, and the Oregon Community College Association.

D4A gathers information about students and programs to meet state and federal reporting requirements. It also helps colleges plan, research and develop programs. This information helps the colleges to support the progress of students and their success in the workplace and other education programs.

D4A or the college may provide students' Social Security numbers to the following agencies or match them with records from the following systems:

  • State and private universities, colleges, and vocational schools to find out how many community college students go on with their education, and to find out whether community college courses are a good basis for further education.
  • The Oregon Employment Department, which gathers information, including employment and earnings, to help state and local agencies plan education and training services to help Oregon citizens get the best jobs available.
  • The Oregon Department of Education to provide reports to local, state, and federal governments. The information is used to learn about education, training, and job market trends for planning, research and program improvement.
  • The Oregon Department of Revenue and collection agencies, only for purposes of processing debts and only if credit is extended to the student by the college.
  • The IRS for the purpose of Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning tax credit.

State and federal law protects the privacy of students’ records. Students' Social Security numbers will be used only for the purposes listed above.

Student directory information


In accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Rogue Community College considers the following to be “directory information.”

  1. Name, mailing address, telephone number and email address.
  2. Dates of enrollment.
  3. Major field of study.
  4. Awards, honors, certificate(s) and degree(s) conferred.
  5. Participation in officially recognized college activities and sports.
  6. Most recent educational agency or institution attended.
  7. Academic credit information.
  8. Photograph.
  9. Student ID (institutional user ID).

This information may be released without the student’s written consent unless the student completes a Directory Exemption form at Student Affairs. Exemption status keeps the student’s name from appearing in print for press releases or for commencement or other awards and recognition by the college.

To accommodate written requests for an individual student's directory information, Student Records will forward written messages to the student whose information is requested. RCC does not contact groups of students for the purpose of solicitation. For information about this service or directory information, email [email protected]

Student educational records


Rogue Community College follows the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 in regard to educational records. With some exceptions, federal legislation gives students the right to inspect their educational records while attending RCC. A student who believes the contents are inaccurate, misleading or a violation of privacy or other rights has the right to file a written request with the Registrar or Designee to amend their student records.

The college normally will comply with requests to inspect records within 10 days but in no case more than 45 days from the date of request. For information regarding review of official records or to challenge the content of those records, students may contact the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar.

A student has the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the requirements. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Officer
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20202-5901

Student right-to-know

Graduation rate

The following graduation rates are the result of a three-year study of each fall term's first-time freshmen entering RCC. These students must meet the following criteria:

  • Have been a first-time freshman entering RCC in fall 2016-17.
  • Have never previously attended any college.
  • Have attended RCC full time (at least 12 credit hours) during their first fall term.
  • Be identified as degree seeking using their declared majors.

Rates are reported as a three-year tracking period. This allows for the reporting of completions (graduations) within 150 percent of the normal time. Transfer rates are for transfers to any college or university in the United States.

Rates are reported as a three-year tracking period. This allows for the reporting of completions (graduations) within 150 percent of the normal time. Transfer rates are for transfers to any college or university in the United States.

  • 11% graduated by the end of Winter Term 2019 (certificate seeking), or by the end of Spring Term 2020 (degree seeking)
  • 22% transferred to another college or university.

Tax credits for education


The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA 97) provides tax benefits for persons who are paying higher education costs for themselves and/or for members of their families. These benefits include a deduction for student loan interest, available for taxpayers who have taken loans to pay the cost of attending an eligible educational institution for themselves, their spouses, or their dependents. Taxpayers may deduct interest they pay on these student loans. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provides an American Opportunity Tax Credit worth up to $2,500 annually.

The 1098-T form and a detailed statement of charges and payments are available online at RCC's 1098T page. For questions about your 1098T form please email [email protected]. For additional information and FAQs, visit the 1098T FAQ page.

It is strongly recommended that students consult a tax advisor for specific information about eligibility and potential benefits. RCC cannot answer tax-related questions. For additional information from the Internal Revenue Service, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040 or the IRS.gov website.


Each transcript is a permanent record of all the student’s academic accomplishments at RCC. It reflects all grades, including retaken courses, and degrees or certificates earned at RCC. Students may obtain a copy of their unofficial transcripts on myRogue. Students also may order official transcripts from the Enrollment Services Transcript page.

Understanding college terms

Academic Alert I

Status given to students who do not meet Good Academic Standing requirements for the first time. Refer to "Academic Standing Standards" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Standing Standards page.

Academic Alert II

Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress for the second time. Refer to "Satisfactory Academic Standing" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Standing Standards page.

Academic Calendar

Start and end dates of each academic term. Includes important dates for tuition payment, deadlines to add, drop or withdraw from classes, holidays and registration dates, etc.

Academic Suspension

Status given to students who do not meet Good Academic Standing requirements for the third or more consecutive term. Refer to "Satisfactory Academic Standing Standards" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Standing Standards page.

Academic Success Classes

Credit classes are offered in basic reading, writing and math to prepare students for college-level courses. Students must go through a placement process to determine their academic level before enrolling in these classes.

Adult Basic Skills

Students who need to learn basic reading, writing and math skills, prepare for GED® exams, learn English or prepare for college placement tests may receive assistance through basic skills programs.

Advanced Placement

Credit granted or eligibility for an advanced course based on the student having mastered the equivalent of an introductory course.

Aid Package

A combination of aid offered (possibly scholarships, grants, loans and work) determined by the Financial Aid Office per eligibility rules.

Alpha Zeta Pi

A Rogue Community College honor society recognizing academic excellence.


An articulation agreement is created when two (or more) institutions agree that the content and difficulty level of courses offered by each institution is equivalent and that students taking the articulated course at one institution will not need to repeat it when they transfer to the other institution.

Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer (AAOT)

A two-year degree that fulfills all lower-division general-education requirements of a bachelor’s degree. Upon admission to any public college in Oregon, students who have completed the AAOT (90 credits minimum) will qualify for junior standing. The AAOT degree does not guarantee that a student meets prerequisites for a particular major. The student may need additional coursework to be accepted into the major.

Associate of Applied Science (AAS)

A two-year program (90 credits minimum) designed to prepare students for work in a specific career technical field. A wide range of AAS programs are available at RCC, from Automotive Technology to Nursing.

Associate of General Studies (AGS)

A two-year program (90 credits minimum) that incorporates both lower division college transfer courses and career and technical education courses with general education coursework.

Associate of Science (AS)

A two-year program (90 credits minimum) based on signed articulation agreements with specific public and private universities and designed for students transferring to a designated baccalaureate degree program.

Award Letter

An offer of aid (scholarships, grants, loans and work) determined by the Financial Aid Office.

Career and Technical Education (CTE)

A program of study at the secondary and postsecondary levels that is a key component of Oregon’s education and workforce development system. CTE integrates technical career skill proficiencies with academic content and prepares students for the workplace, further education, training, and family and community roles. At the postsecondary (college) level, CTE helps students complete Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degrees and certificate of completion programs, preparing them for workplace entry and career success. CTE courses are identified by the following prefixes: AH, AM, APR, BT, CIS, CPL, DA, DDM, DS, ECE, EET, EMS, ES, FRP, HC, HS, MEC, MET, MFG, MT, NRS, PN, PRX, SRV, WLD. Most of these courses apply to RCC career and technical education degrees and certificates.

College Now

The College Now program allows high school students to earn college credit for free in selected high school classes at the same time they are earning credit toward their high school diploma. College Now courses are taught at the high school by high school teachers. These teachers work with RCC academic departments, including CTE, to align the content of the high school class with the rigor of the college class. Schools may apply college credit earned to the high school diploma.

College Transfer Courses

College transfer courses are courses generally accepted by four-year colleges, and identified with letters and numbers (e.g. WR121), with the exception of courses with the career and technical prefixes listed.

Career Pathway Certificates

Career Pathway Certificates (CPCs) are 12-44 credit certificates offered in career/technical programs and are usually three or fewer terms in length. CPCs serve as the first step in a career pathway, providing employer validated skills training along with academic preparation for continuing the educational pathway. Career Pathway certificates are stackable. This means all credits earned in the CPC count toward the related one-year certificate or two-year Associate of Applied Science degree.

Cooperative Work Experience (CWE)

A capstone experience taken in final terms of a student’s degree or certificate program. Students and participating businesses develop written training and evaluation plans to guide instruction. Students receive course credit for their work experience.

Core Classes

Core classes are classes which all students in a major program are required to take.


A faculty member who is certified and/or licensed as a personal counselor and who provides personal and crisis counseling free of charge to students. Counselors also teach human development and career guidance classes.


A unit of academic credit that represents the hours of class time per week; granted in recognition of coursework completed.

  • A one credit course offered as lecture or recitation format can range between 10 to 12 class hours per term.
  • A one credit course offered as lecture/lab format can range between 20 to 24 class hours per term.
  • A one credit course offered as lab or CWE format can range between 30 to 36 class hours per term.

Cumulative Pace (cPace)

Credit completion rate calculated by dividing cumulative credits completed by cumulative credits attempted.


Courses necessary to complete a degree or certificate; also refers to the material covered in a course.

Declare a Major

Officially indicate a major or program of study. See “Major.”

Degree Audit

An individualized report that reflects a student's academic progress toward a specified certificate or degree.


A field of study or a category of classes such as humanities or social science. See “Major.”


Students may be dismissed or expelled for consistently poor grades or breaking rules.

Distance Education

Classes taught over the internet.

Early College

A program where high school students attend college classes on one of the RCC campuses or online while still in high school. Courses are generally paid for by the high school or school district.


An optional rather than required class.


Money charged by a college for services provided to students. Fees are often charged for lab materials and recreational facilities.

Financial Aid

Federal, state, college and private aid that helps students pay for college costs. Financial aid can be in the form of grants, scholarships, loans or work-study programs.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial Aid status for students who have earned at least a RCC 2.0 cumulative GPA and at least an RCC 66.67% cumulative credit completion rate. Students must also complete their program of study within the 150% maximum time frame, calculated by taking program credit length and multiplying that by 150%. Refer to "Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Standing (SAP) Policy page at www.roguecc.edu/sap.

Financial Aid Suspension

Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress for the second time. Refer to "Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Standing (SAP) Policy page at www.roguecc.edu/sap.

Financial Warning

Status given to students who do not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for the first time. Refer to "Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress" in the policy section or RCC Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy page at www.roguecc.edu/sap.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The annual application required for students to be considered for federal financial aid programs. Available beginning October 1 of each year at www.FAFSA.gov.

Freshman Experience

For first-year freshmen and/or students who have not yet decided on a major.

Full-time Student

A student taking 12 or more credits per term.

General Education Requirements

Courses required in a variety of academic areas such as science, writing and math.

Good Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing Status for students who have earned at least a 2.0 term GPA and a 66.67% term attempted credits, and who were not previously on a Academic Suspension or on a Probation status. Refer to "Academic Standing Standards" in the policy section or RCC Academic Standing Policy Standards page.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

An indicator of a student’s term or overall scholastic performance calculated by dividing the total course points by the total applied credits. A=4 points, B=3 points, C=2 points, D=1 point, F=0. (Grades not included in applied credits are AU, I, NP, P, R, W, Y, and Z.)


Award based on financial need that does not require repayment.

Honor Roll

Student list based on a GPA calculation based on completion of six graded credits or more (numbered 100 or higher), that are graded A-F in one term.

  • President's List – 3.75 term GPA.
  • Dean's List – 3.5 term GPA.

Interlibrary Loan Service (ILL)

The library can obtain materials from academic and public libraries nationwide.


A grade of “I” requires an agreement between the instructor and the student about the completion of the last 25 percent of course requirements. Requires minimum successful completion of 75 percent of the work required in the class prior to the end of the term. Faculty are not required to grant an incomplete.

Independent Study

An arrangement that allows a student to earn college credit through individual study, usually planned with and supervised by a faculty member.

Informational Interview

An interview to find out about a job or a career such as the training needed and responsibilities.


Paid or unpaid positions in which students work with an employer for a specified period of time to learn about a particular industry or occupation.


Financial aid that must be repaid, with interest, after a student leaves school.


The subject of study in which the student chooses to specialize or graduate.


Advancing through the educational process toward a goal, particularly related to enrolling in a college or university (e.g., upon completing the Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer degree, to matriculate to Southern Oregon University).


(Shown in schedule of classes) Represents days of the week. "Course offered TuTh," indicates Tuesday and Thursday class.

Occupational Outlook

A prediction of the number of job openings there will be at a certain time for specific jobs.

Open Educational Resources (OERs)

Open Educational Resources are teaching and learning materials that students may use, share and often adapt, without charge, and are made available in the form of low- or no-cost textbooks.

Oregon Student Aid Application (ORSAA)

The ORSAA is an alternative to the FAFSA for undocumented Oregon students, including students who have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status or temporary Protected Status (TPS). Available on October 1 each year at the Oregon Student Aid website.

Part-time Student

A student enrolled in 1-5 credits (less than half time); 6-8 credits (half time); 9-11 credits per term (three-quarter time).

Placement Assessment

Used to determine starting levels in reading, writing and math for new students.

Placement Process

A variety of measures used to determine starting levels for students in reading, writing and math. This process may be completed based on college transcripts, placement test results from another college, qualifying SAT/ ACT scores, a placement assessment and more. Contact recruitment@ roguecc.edu for more information.


Courses that must be successfully completed (grade of A, B, C, or P) before proceeding in the curriculum (e.g. BT113 or WR115 must be completed prior to PSY101).


Status given to students who, after returning to RCC after a suspension status, successfully pass 100% of their classes, but have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. These students may enroll in classes for upcoming terms, so long as they successfully pass 100% of their classes with a C or better. Students will remain in a Probation status as long as they continue to pass 100% of their classes with a C or better grades, until they also have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students who do not have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and who do not pass 100% of their classes with a C or better will return to an Academic Suspension status.

Probation (Aid Eligible)

Status given to students who have an approved Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal and are financial aid eligible. Probation (Aid Eligible) status allows students to receive aid while working toward the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standing requirements.

Program Map

List of courses necessary to complete a degree or certificate.

Quarter or Term

An academic period of 11 weeks in fall, winter or spring terms, or eight weeks in summer term. Four per academic year.


Required component for most chemistry and physics classes. Provides a forum to discuss lecture and lab activities, review materials, take quizzes, etc.


Officially enrolling in classes for an upcoming academic term.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (cGPA) and successfully complete 66.67 percent of credits attempted, earning A, B, C, D, or P grades. Unsatisfactory progress may result in being placed on academic alert I or II, and subsequently suspension. Financial aid recipients have additional SAP requirements to maintain eligibility.


Awards to students that do not have to be repaid and are based on merit or merit plus financial need.


Set of two or three courses in one subject area usually taken in numerical order (e.g., CHEM104, CHEM105, CHEM106).


The official record of high school or college courses and grades generally required as part of college applications.


When students apply credits earned at one institution toward the graduation requirements of a program at another institution.

Transfer Courses

Courses that usually share a common description or course number at multiple institutions (such as WR121) and that typically are acceptable at a four-year college or university.


The cost of classes or credits.

Work Study

A form of financial aid in which students earn money by working part time at their college. Students apply for work study by filling out the FAFSA.

2022-23 RCC Catalog