Sheet Metal Worker
Trade Coordinator: Andie Anderson
Open Announcements for Applications
SOUTH CENTRAL OR SHEET METAL JATC (MA# 5006)
Date of Notice: March 1, 2023
- Open announcements will be made available to the public 30 days before applications are accepted.
- Information will be released, at least, semiannually.
Reminders and Next Steps
- Applications can be picked up from the opening date until the closing date, they are not available outside of that window of time.
- Applications can be picked up at a specific place and at a set time and day during the open application period.
- Applications will need to be completed and have copies of all required minimum qualifications met attached.
- After the closing date for the application process, all applicants that have met minimum qualification.
- Completed applications that meet minimum requirements will be placed in a lottery for ranking in pool of eligible applicants.
- It is at this point that an applicant will receive a letter where they placed on the list, or reasons as to why they may not have made it on the list.
The Training Program
- See what courses are needed to complete a Sheet Metal Apprenticeship at RCC on our Program Maps:
- The total amount of on-the-job training hours are 7,200
- 2,150 in Fabrication and Assembly
- 3,150 in Installation and/or Erection
- 900 in Layout
- And, 1,000 miscellaneous hours
- 189 hours of related classroom training is required every year an apprentice is registered in the program
- Some courses include:
- Shop Math
- Blueprint Reading/Sketching
- Duct Design
- Among others
- 18 years or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Completion of one year of high school algebra/integrated math 2 or equivalent post high school algebra course(s) with grade “C” or better, or an equivalent post high school placement test or NCRC (National Career Readiness Certificate) with a score or higher on each of the following assessments:
- Applied mathematics
- Reading for information
- Locating information