RCC Mascot: Ossie T. Osprey
Ossie's Sneak Preview Profile
Marital Status: Single
Title: Official Mascot for Rogue Community College
Describe your organization and/or your job:
My job is to activate team spirit and encourage students to learn at Rogue Community College. I have a degree in Interpretive Dance Leadership and Enthusiastic Jazz Hands, plus a Certificate of Completion in Dance and Cheer Instruction and Synchronized Flapping. I did an internship under "Boom," the Seattle Seahawks mascot in the summer of 2016. I have also performed as the L.A. Lakers' mascot when their official mascot was away. I use all those performance experiences to connect with the crowd. At the Mascot Boot Camp, I gained the necessary skills, antics, tips and tricks to entertain and wow guests, and studied the art of interaction and activation needed to motivate the fans to cheer on the team.
How long have you lived in the Rogue Valley? Since I was knee high to a grasshopper ... right before I ate it.
Favorite movie: The Birds ... I was rootin' for them.
Favorite actor: Big Bird on Sesame Street is my all-time hero.
Favorite actress: Faye Dunaway in Three Days of the Condor.
Favorite TV show: Animal Channel.
Favorite book of all time: National Audubon Society's Field Guide to Oregon.
Favorite magazine: National Geographic.
Favorite pet of all time: The guy who runs the P.R. department at RCC.
Other than friends and family, what person do you admire the most? I have to say my darling parents, who flew all the way from the Rogue Valley to Patagonia just to raise their kids.
What's the first thing you turn to when you read a daily newspaper? Lost and Found; a lot of my friends end up there.
Favorite part of the Sneak Preview: Whatever happens to end up at the bottom of the bird cage ... just kidding, I love everything about it.
Favorite hobbies: Practicing in front of the mirror, mimicking humans, dive bombing camera drones just to irritate the owners.
Favorite kind of music: Songs from the Humpback Whales.
Favorite Beatle and/or Beatle song: "Blackbird."
Favorite local restaurants: Whoever has the freshest steelhead that day; I'm too old to fish the Rogue River these days.
What would you do if you won $10 million in the lottery? Retire and give half to the RCC Foundation.
What is the most important thing you learned as a child? Don't fly too close to the sun. My great-uncle Icarus taught me that one.
What person or event had the biggest impact on your life? Meeting all the wonderful people and students at RCC who have given me the opportunity to be a champion for education.
Proudest achievement: Meeting Jack Nicholson at a Lakers game and having him sign my third metacarpal bone.
Favorite thing about the Rogue Valley: The respect they show for their fine feathered friends, even the spotted owl.
What changes would you like to see in the Rogue Valley? More people coming to the events that RCC sponsors.
Ossie T. Osprey
114 S. Bartlett St. Medford, OR | 541-956-7500 | [email protected]
Professional Mascot who activates team spirit; a champion for collaboration and enthusiasm and able to use skills as a professional mascot and team leader.
AAOT: POSITIVE SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY I ROGUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE | SPRING 2017
- Minor: Interpretive Dance Leadership and Enthusiastic Jazz Hands
- Certificate of Completion: Dance and cheer instruction and synchronized flapping
- Internship under BOOM, Seattle Seahawk's mascot | Summer 2015, 2016
HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA I BIRD BRAIN PUBLIC SCHOOL I 2012
- Birdadicktorian honor for my graduating flock; graduated top of flock with honors.
- Emphasis on team building, conflict resolution and spirit feathers.
Skills & Abilities
- Balance time representing four campuses through effective time management
- Collaborate with the associated student government often in campus activities; always manage to ruffle up a great time for all.
- Maintains belief in the power of non-verbal communication; able to communicate love and acceptance to students of all flights of life without saying a word.
- Excels in flapping of wings to communicates the joys and triumphs of what it means to be a RCC team member.
- Excels in wings wide open and a shake of tail feathers to communicate "Hey, RCC Ospreys, we birds of a feather will always flock together."
- Led a group of young ospreys south; learned the ancient ways of the Pandion Haliaetus in flight patterns, hunting and team building.
- Teach classes of 30 mascots on the benefits of silent leadership roles with high physical activity.
- Facilitate personal health and wellness workshops with an emphasis on safe body kinesthetic practices.
- Volunteer with RCC departments: TRIO, HOLA, Career Services, Student Government, Learning Center
- Mentor under-privileged inter-city youth mascots; aided participants in identifying goals, aspirations and developing a game plan for their success.
WORK & VOLUNTEERISM
Peer Mentor Volunteer
|Rogue Community College I Medford, OR
Rogue Valley Parks and Rec I Medford, OR
PROMASCOT I Grants Pass, OR
|2014 - Present
2014 - Present
2012 - 2014