facebook icon
Skip to content
Spacer RCC Business Offices

Business Office

Contract & Grant Accounting

List of Contracts and Grants

Contract & Grant Accounting processes the financial transactions of contracts and grants that have been awarded to Rogue Community College. We ensure that all of our awards comply with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, circulars, and RCC internal controls. 

The following is information around our grant process:

Pre-Award (Planning and application stages):

  • Budget development
  • Grant application and coordination

Post-Award (once RCC has received the grant award):

  • Grant account setup – RAPS
  • Grant budget setup – RAPS
  • Monthly expenditure monitoring
  • Annual budget assistance and preparation
  • Financial Reporting – reporting requirements vary by grantor
  • Invoicing - invoicing requirements vary by grantor
  • Project Closeout – final financial reporting to granting entity

Time and Effort Reporting

Administrative Procedures

The Federal government requires an effort report when an individual is compensated by, or has agreed to contribute time to, a federally-sponsored project.  All faculty and staff who work on federal grant related projects are personally responsible to certify the amount of effort that they spend on sponsored activities. This entails having the T&E forms (links below) signed by both the employee working under the grant and the employee’s supervisor/grant manager.

Frequently Asked Questions of Grants Accounting

Do I have to monitor my account?

Yes, the Project Champion is responsible for managing both the financial and programmatic aspects of the project.

How do I know how much I've spent? And how much is available?

Monthly spending reports will be provided. If you would like to review your account information at any given time during the month, there are two options to obtain the information:

  • Run an Account Transactions report in RAPS. (If you’re unsure of how to retrieve the appropriate information, contact your grant accountant.)
  • Contact your grant accountant who can provide you with an up-to-date report.

What do I do if something was coded incorrectly?

You should notify your Grants accountant. The accountant will need to do a correcting journal entry, and will need documentation to complete the entry. Send an email stating what happened, and also include any other necessary information, such as PO number, account, etc.

What if I need to buy something that is not in my budget?

Some granting entities will allow you to spend outside your original line item budget; others require prior approval. The Project Champion should be aware of the program guidelines for your granting entity, and if prior approval needs to be obtained.

What if I overspend?

Your budget is only approved for the amount funded per your signed agreement. Any overage will need to be moved to another account outside of the grant.

Why do I have to fill out Time & Effort reports?

The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance—2 CFR 200.430(i) Standards for Documentation of Personnel Expenses—requires time distribution records to be maintained for all employees whose salary is paid in whole or in part with federal funds or is used to meet a match or cost-share requirement for a grant.

Payroll allocations among federal grant awards cannot be based on budgeted distributions alone. Allocations of salaries and wages among grant programs need to be supported by actual hours worked.  All time worked for the organization should be included in order to calculate what portion relates to federal awards. Nonexempt employees must prepare records indicating the total number of hours worked each day.

How do I know what grants are available and how do I apply for them?

The RCC Grant Coordination Office serves as the clearinghouse for all college grant opportunities and grant seekers to advance the mission of the College, prevent duplication of efforts, and maximize grant revenue for the college.

For more information contact: RCC Grant Coordination Office - [email protected]

What percentage rate do I use when budgeting for benefits?

Because the amount of benefit dollars varies by position, please contact your grant accountant for the most current information.

What is Indirect Cost?

Indirect costs are those costs that are incurred for common objectives and therefore cannot be identified specifically with a particular program or activity. The College’s negotiated indirect rate of 46% is valid through 6/30/2024.

What is the difference between cash match and in-kind dollars?

Cash match is actual cash outlays from the Institution's operations budget to support the program. In-kind match is non-cash contributions provided by either the Institution or a third party in support of the program.

Federal Guidance & References

Uniform Grant Guidance for Federal grants
Cost Principles 2 CFR, Part 200, Subpart E (formerly in OMB Circular A-21)
U.S. Department of Education - Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR)