Skip to content
Spacer Rogue Community College Board of Education

AP 6550 Disposal of Property


ORS 341.290(5)
ORS 271.300 to 271.360
ORS 279A.280, 279B.055, 279B.060

Department: The Contract and Procurement Office is responsible to ensure that the following is completed and that all statutory requirements are met.
Contact: Contract and Procurement Director (541) 956-7200.

Surplus Property
Surplus property includes materials and equipment that no longer have a useful purpose to the College. These items include but are not limited to vehicles, equipment, office furniture, electronics, classroom furnishings etc.
In accordance with Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 279A.280 (Disposal of surplus property) the College may donate, dispose of or offer for sale surplus property. All items surplused must be approved by the Vice President of College Services.

Prior to declaring College furniture and fixtures as Surplus, Facilities and Operations staff shall inspect for use as College inventory. Inventory items will be stored for future use if deemed usable. Non-inventory items shall be declared as Surplus and be evaluated to determine whether to sell or dispose by Facilities or designated staff.

  1. Steps for declaring College property as surplus:
    1. Send an email to the Contract and Procurement Director with a short description of the item(s), including color, make, model(s), serial number(s) as well as any RCC asset tag number(s).
    2. Once the items are approved as surplus the requesting department will be notified of the approval.
    3. The requesting department will then create a work order to have Facilities and Operations remove the item(s) for sale or disposal.
  2. Donations of Surplus Property may be designated as follows:
    1. To other governmental organizations such as City, County and State offices
    2. To educational institutions such as, K-12, charter schools and other higher education institutions.
    3. To non-profit businesses that do not use donated items for resale.

      Once the item(s) are approved for donation surplus the Contract and Procurement Office will send a letter to the intended recipient, with an itemized list of item(s) donated, and a receipt to be signed upon taking possession of the item(s).
  3. Sale of surplus property should be handled as follows:
    1. The Contract and Procurement Office will be the main contact for selling surplus property and will work with College departments to manage the processes as appropriate.
    2. Items must be sold in accordance to ORS 279B.055 (Competitive sealed bidding) or ORS 279B.060 (Competitive sealed proposals).
      1. The College is contracted with GovDeals –Government Surplus Sales (online auction) for the sales of surplus property.
    3. Sales will be open to the public and may be open to employees of the College. Employees who are involved in the administration of the sale or members of the department disposing of the items are prohibited from purchasing items.
    4. Proceeds received from the sale of surplus property generally belong to the College as a whole and not specifically to any particular College department.
  4. Disposal of Surplus Property
    1. Equipment, office furniture, electronics, classroom furnishings and similar items, excluding vehicles may be disposed of (recycled when feasible) when the items have no value or are in a state of disrepair.
    2. Vehicles must be dismantled and recycled as follows:
      1. Notice of intent to dismantle, including date of anticipated completion along with the make, model, body style, vehicle identification number, plate number and asset tag (if applicable), should be given to the Contract and Procurement Office prior to dismantling the vehicle.
      2. The Contract and Procurement Office will complete the appropriate Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV) paperwork and work with the Risk Management Office to gather the title and any other ownership documents. The documentation will be mailed to DMV, as required, and the College’s name will be removed from the vehicle’s ownership records. 

Rogue Community College Foundation (RCCF): Within the first two years of receipt, surplus items donated through the RCCF valued at $5,000 (five thousand dollars) or more, will require notification to RCCF in writing, within one week of disposal, donation, or sale in order to comply with IRS regulations. For more information about donations to the College, contact the Rogue Community College Foundation at (541) 956-7294.

Rescinds Procedure Number: AP-055

Approved: April 6, 2021