Rogue Concert Bowl Renovation Project Description
Every year, thousands of residents and visitors used to attend events at the Marjorie Holzgang Concert Bowl. With its sloping lawn and scenic views, the Bowl once provided an attractive event space unique in the area and served as a high-profile symbol of Josephine County.
For more than 40+ years, the Bowl was part of the fabric of both Rogue Community College and our region’s cultural life. RCC’s Theater Arts and Music programs have used the picturesque setting for plays and musical concerts, and Commencement was once held in the Concert Bowl each year. The Bowl has played host to numerous community events including local Battle of the Bands, festivals supported by student government, community theater groups and churches, and was even used by the Grants Pass Public Safety Department to practice emergency rescues on the amphitheater’s steep hillsides. In 2008, President Bill Clinton chose the Marjorie Holzgang Concert Bowl as the single location to address the region in his campaign for wife, Hillary.
In addition to serving as a versatile community space, the Bowl also can provide educational opportunities for students. Classes and student internships utilizing the Bowl could provide:
- Training for jobs in graphic design, public relations, marketing and other liberal arts careers
- Work experience as actors, musicians, directors, choreographers, technical theatrical designers and writers
- Skills valuable to employers hiring for jobs in the arts and related industries
Productions at the renovated Bowl will strengthen the economy through creation of work for local builders, plumbers, accountants, printers and other occupations. Further regional income is generated by area tourism from those who travel to the area for the events and productions the Bowl hosts.
While the Bowl has been a landmark in southern Oregon for over three decades, the southern Oregon community has demonstrated the desire for a more modern, efficient concert bowl.
The Bowl is in need of extensive renovations to return it to a usable status, making it safe, and viable for future generations. These improvements include ingress and egress improvements to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, lighting and sound upgrades, improvements to the restroom facilities, and the installation of permanent seating.
Renovation of RCC’s Marjorie Holzgang Concert Bowl would fulfill the community desire for a well-planned event space suitable for a variety of musical and stage productions.
Project Development & Description
To develop a plan that would address all these factors - community desire for a modern concert bowl, improved educational offerings for students, and added income for our economy - we continue to work with a committee of community, business and college representatives.
Together, we have developed a prioritized list of renovations to modernize and upgrade the 30-year-old Concert Bowl, including the addition of seating, safer pedestrian walkways, an upgrade to the current restrooms, and improved handicap accessibility to meet current Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. This $2.5 million renovation will allow the Concert Bowl to both increase its capacity and continue to serve our growing community for many years to come.
These renovations will help strengthen our economy by tapping into the revenue that southern Oregon arts organizations and their audiences create. For a conservative projection of possible economic impact:
- In a 2005 study, people who attended nonprofit cultural events in Josephine County spent an average of $26 per person, in addition to the ticket price on such things as food, gifts, lodging and more. Additionally, statistics show that out-of-town visitors spend 75% more per person on the arts than locals. Total expenditures for such events in Josephine County that year were $3 million, of which $2 million was spent on items outside of the cost of admission.
- Annual Economic Impact: With an additional 10 events per year, attracting 1,608 attendees each - who spend an average of $26 per person (not reflecting the increase anticipated for 2022) - would provide an additional $418,080 per year in new regional income.
Setting the Stage for the Future
A scenic outdoor venue with a stage and amplified sound system like the Bowl is a rarity in the region, and RCC’s Redwood Campus offers a picturesque location. With the planned renovations, the bowl will be able to attract larger events, more theater performances and musical presentations. The renovation will support our students, our local employers and the growth of our region’s economy. Please join us in supporting the renovation of the Marjorie Holzgang Concert Bowl.
Marjorie Holzgang Concert Bowl Renovations Overview
Project Cost: $2.5 million*
* Current escalating construction cost rates are likely to alter the total project costs listed and/or will necessitate scope of work reductions.
- Develop a modern entry plaza and ticket booth, modernize and expand restrooms, replace outdated sound and lighting equipment
- Slope stabilization
- Upgrade pedestrian walkways and add a driveway to the stage
- Add fixed seating and seat walls to the lower Bowl
- Increase total seating capacity to 1,608
- Lower tier: 302 seat capacity
- Middle tier: 840 seat capacity
- Seat walls: 466 seat capacity
- Lower tier: 302 seat capacity
- Add stairs between the lower and upper Bowl
- Update the Bowl to meet current Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements
- Provide a well-planned outdoor space for community gatherings and performances
- Attract more high-profile performances, drawing more tourism dollars to the region
- Increase the number of productions, increasing tax revenues, jobs, and a creativity-based economy
- Increase opportunities for students in the Theater Arts and Music
- Improve the quality of life in our community making our area more attractive to potential employers as a place to establish their business and for employees to raise families
Thank you for your consideration of Rogue Community College's request.
(Click here to download a PDF of the Rogue Concert Bowl Renovation Project Description.)