Federal Direct Loans, 2013/14
Welcome to RCC’s student loan application process for the 2013/14 school year (’13 Summer through ’14 Spring).
As of July 1, 2010, all federal Stafford student loans are through the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED) Federal Direct Loan (FDL) program. This means that if you borrow money toward educational expenses, you will make repayment to a federal government servicer instead of a private lender. For Federal Direct Loan information, visit www.studentloans.gov.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a FDL?
Once you have been issued an Award Letter or an Eligibility Notification from RCC, you may complete the FDL application process. At least half-time (6+ aid-eligible term credits), aid-eligible enrollment is required. Check your financial aid status at www.roguecc.edu/FinancialAid. Per-term loan application deadlines are as follows:
|Loan Application Deadlines:|
|'13 Summer||Thurs., 08/22/13||'14 Winter||Fri., 03/14/14|
|'13 Fall||Fri., 12/06/13||'14 Spring||Fri., 06/06/14|
After reviewing this information, be prepared to enter the following data:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your Federal PIN (what you used to electronically sign your FAFSA)
- Contact information (ie phone/mailing address) for 2-3 different, personal references (people who will know how to contact you in 10 years)
Recommended: Take the time to carefully read and research your need before you borrow. There are many helpful tools provided here. Use them to help you plan.
To proceed to the 3-step application process, select “Apply” at the end of these introduction pages. You’ll be asked to log into MyRogue using your student ID and RCC Password. If the system cannot confirm your eligibility to apply, follow the directions you are given to find out what you must do next. DO NOT CONTINUE to www.StudentLoans.gov as RCC will NOT be able to certify a loan for you until you become eligible. Otherwise, continue as follows:
Select “Apply.” You’ll be asked to log into using your student ID and RCC Password.
- Loan Request Form. Print so that you can later complete and submit it by fax to 541-471-3532, scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit it in-person to Rogue Central Services. Select “Next” to continue to www.StudentLoans.gov.
- Annual, Online Loan Entrance Counseling. Use your last name, SSN, date of birth and federal PIN to “Sign In” and complete this second step. Allow an hour so you can carefully learn your borrower rights and responsibilities.
- Be sure your email address is correct. RCC recommends checking the box to get electronic communication.
- Select “Complete Entrance Counseling.” (twice)
- Select 1st option (…to receive loans as an undergraduate student.), then Continue.
- If you get a pop-up message saying that you’ve already completed it, select “Continue.” (RCC uses annual entrance counseling as your application.)
- Read Helpful Hints, About the Quiz and Now You are Ready to Begin sections, then select Continue.
- School State is “OREGON” and School Name is “Rogue Community College” (Grants Pass address).
- Participate in an interactive, 16-part session that includes a short quiz after each section.
- Review your “Borrower Rights and Responsibilities.”
- Select “Submit.”
- Print your confirmation.
You will get a “Congratulations!” message when completed.
Note: The following borrowers will be notified of additional application requirements, including attending a 1-hr, in-person loan counseling session, before RCC can determine loan eligibility:
- Those that already have high debt ($12,000+ for dependent applicants and $20,000+ for independent)
- Those that have previously defaulted on a student loan (who didn’t successfully address issue in 12/13)
- Those that are not in Good Standing according to RCC’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for financial aid
- Master Promissory Note (MPN). Return to Home and go to My Profile. Select “Completed MPNs” under “My Loan Documents.” All completed MPNs will be displayed.
If you completed an MPN for Rogue Community College on/after 6/1/2010, your multi-year MPN application is complete. If your MPN for RCC is older than 10 years or the message “No records found” is displayed, click on “Complete MPN” under “Master Promissory Note” toward the lower left corner of the screen. This will take you to a screen where you’ll select the type of loan you would like to receive. Select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” (RCC does not participate in the Graduate PLUS, Parent PLUS, or Perkins loan programs), then do the following:
- Complete all Personal Information.
- Complete all School and Loan Information.
- Complete all Reference 1 and 2 Information. (Have unique contact information ready.)
- Review the Terms and Conditions section thoroughly.
- Check that you have done so and that the information is correct.
- Confirm the information and edit if needed.
- Electronically sign by entering your name and clicking on “Sign.”
- After your signature is authenticated, review the HTML version of your MPN before submitting.
- You can view and print a PDF version of your MPN.