When to Apply
Please attend a mandatory Information Session prior to applying.
All in-person classes are held in White City Health Professions Center.
What is a Dental Assistant?
A dental assistant is the one who greets the patient as they go into the dental office for treatment. Often being the person who helps the patient who is a little afraid, become more comfortable. They work closely with the Dentist to provide quality care for the patient. A dental assistant can work independently with an Expanded Functions certificate (from the Dental Assistant National Board). A dental assistant is a vital team member that helps the flow of the entire office go smoothly. A dental assistant whom graduates from RCC and successfully passes the five Nation Board exams will be prepared to enter the workforce with the skills the dentist is requiring for a great career.
Expanded Functions Dental Assistants perform a variety of tasks in the dental field.
- Prepare patients for procedures and surgeries
- Identify and respond to medical and dental emergencies
- Take Radiographs
- Provide oral hygiene and post operative instruction
- Make dental impressions
- Fabricate dental models
- Prepare dental materials
- Scan the teeth
- Restorative charting
- Take intra and extraoral photos
- Fabricate and cement temporary crowns
- Place temporary fillings
- Place dental dams
- Place and remove dental matrices and wedges
- Sterilize dental instruments and equipment
- Prepare tray set-ups for dental procedures
- Assist dentist or hygienist with dental procedures
- Take and record patient vital signs
- Maintain infection and hazard control plans
- Coronal polish patient's teeth
- Perform tooth whitening procedures
- Patient registration
- Answer phones and schedule appointments
- Insurance and billing
- Schedule referral and testing appointments
- Complete paperwork for the dental lab
- Order supplies
- Maintain office OSHA protocol
Why become a Dental Assistant?
This is a field that has been projected to expand by 18% by 2024, which means that job opportunities will become increasingly more abundant in the upcoming years. Dental assistants enjoy exciting, varied assignments, steady work schedules, respect, and prestige. With the right credentials, you can:
- Work for a private dental practice.
- Work at a dental clinic, performing a variety of services.
- Work for a federal, state, or local government agency.
A career as a Dental Assistant offers great hours and benefits, and with RCC’s one-year certificate program you can get into the workforce quickly. Dental Assistants reap the benefits of a flexible schedule and gratifying career.
About the Program
Our limited entry one-year certificate prepares you for the pathway to become a certified Dental Assistant (CDAs), with expanded functions (EFDA).
- Seven core dental assisting classes
- Four dental exam preparation classes
- Three professional skills classes
- Practicum and seminar includes 300 CWE hrs. in a dental office
- Application window is January-March 15, to enter the program in the summer
- Financial aid eligible
Click here to view the Dental Assistant Certificate Program Map.