CPR/ Basic Life Support Provider (Summer 2019)
- Course ID
- RWC, Redwood Campus, Grants Pass
- Friday, July 19, 2019 to Friday, July 26, 2019
- Offers a basic life support plan for emergency care of cardiac victims until EMS takes responsibility for the victim. This is a Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider course designed to help students recognize the signs and symptoms of a heart attack and cardiac arrest that pose a threat to life. Includes scene safety assessment, in-depth coverage of the signs and symptoms of cardiac arrest and heart attack, how an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) functions, blood borne pathogens, the Good Samaritan Law and chain of survival. Using techniques that emphasize the importance of compressions, airway management, and assisted breathing techniques (CABs), students are taught assessment skills to evaluate one- and two-rescuer strategies on adults, children and infants (excluding newborns), airway obstruction relief, and how to appropriately use an AED. Manikins are used in all intensive skill areas with ample time to practice and learn lifesaving skills. The course is intended to introduce and enhance existing skills and concepts, and leave students with a firm understanding of both their limitations as first responders and their ability to provide basic lifesaving care. The course is taught at the provider level through the American Heart Association and results in a CPR, Basic Life Support Provider card upon successful completion. Repeatable every two years, with a limit of two occurrences.
- Pocket mask and book required and must be purchased in bookstore before date needed. The bookstore and cafeteria are closed on Saturdays (and on Fridays during summer term).
- Students not needing this course for program completion but want the AHA Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider card it provides, might consider registering for 9.438A CPR Basic Life Support Provider instead. This is a non-credit alternative and is not financial aid-eligible. An additional $6 is charged for each BLS card and $21 for each Heartsaver card and has already been included within the registration fees.
- Book Cost Notes
This section has low cost book pricing options. Prices are subject to change.
- Estimated Tuition
- Estimated Fees