Applying for Financial Aid
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is at www.fafsa.gov.
You can apply for federal and state need-based, grant aid and the availability to participate in need-based scholarship, student employment and/or student loan options by visiting www.fafsa.gov. For scholarship information and application links, visit the scholarship web site.
FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA on the WebThe 3-Step Process
- How do you apply?
- What happens next?
- Are you in control?
- STEP 1: Complete the FAFSA on the Web
- STEP 2: Respond to Correspondence
- STEP 3: Take Charge of Your Finances
STEP 1: COMPLETE THE FAFSA ON THE WEBThe FAFSA serves as the single application for all types of student financial aid - federal, state and College programs. To apply for student financial aid at RCC you must complete the FAFSA and be enrolled in at least one credit in a degree, certificate, or transfer program. Please complete the following steps to ensure smooth processing of the FAFSA.
- Before you complete the FAFSA on the Web, if you have not already done so, request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at www.pin.ed.gov. Two to three days after you request a PIN, you will receive an e-mail message that your assigned PIN is available on a designated secure Web site.
- If parent information is included on your FAFSA, your parent will also need to request a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Your PIN serves as an electronic identifier and is necessary for you and your parent (if applicable) to electronically sign the FAFSA on the Web.
- Complete the FAFSA on the Web at the Department of Education’s secure site, www.fafsa.gov, as soon after January 1 as possible. We recommend that you submit the FAFSA by March 15 for maximum consideration of all student financial aid programs offered by RCC.
* Applying online is fast, easy, secure, and less error-prone than applying on paper. The federal processor is able to process your electronic application two to three weeks faster than a paper application.
As you complete the FAFSA on the Web, read and follow the online instructions carefully and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your social security number
- Individual student information (e.g., marital status, veteran status, etc.)
- Prior year Federal income tax information for you and/or your parents/spouse.
- adjusted gross income (AGI) and benefits
- Non-taxable income and benefits
- Review the information you have entered on the FAFSA and make sure it is correct before you press the "submit" button. A complete and accurate FAFSA is an important step in the smooth processing of your student financial aid application.
RCC’s federal school code is 010071Whatever option you choose for completing the FAFSA, be sure to list RCC (#010071) in Step Six. Using this code will ensure RCC receives your FAFSA information.
- After you submit your FAFSA on the Web, you will be prompted to sign the application electronically using the PIN you previously requested. If you included parent information on the FAFSA, your parent will need to sign electronically using a PIN as well.
- Keep important papers, such as a printed copy of your FAFSA, tax information, and letters that you receive in a student financial aid folder.