First Aid/CPR (Summer 2018)
- Course ID
- Distance Learning (Web Courses)
- Summer 2018 lasts from Monday, July 9, 2018 to Thursday, August 30, 2018
- Offers a basic life support (BLS) plan for emergency care of cardiac victims until EMS arrives. Helps students recognize the signs and symptoms of a heart attack and cardiac arrest that pose a threat to life. Using techniques that emphasize the importance of compressions, airway management, and assisted breathing techniques (CABs), students are taught assessment skills that allow evaluation of one- and two-rescuer strategies on adults, children and infants (excluding newborns), airway obstruction relief, and how to appropriately use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). The first aid, CPR, and AED section covers the critical skills needed to respond to and manage a first aid, choking or sudden cardiac arrest. Students learn how to treat bleeding, sprains, broken bones, shock, and other first aid emergencies.
Building on these skills is basic Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training. It provides the skills necessary to respond to a community’s immediate needs in the aftermath of a disaster when emergency services are not immediately available.
Successful completion of the course leads two certifications from the American Heart Association: American Heart Association’s Emergency First Aid Heartsaver® card and an American Heart Association Basic Life Support Provider card, both valid for two years.
- Pocket mask and book required and must be purchased in bookstore before date needed. The bookstore and cafeteria are closed on Saturdays (and on Fridays during summer term).
- Additional $3 is charged for each completion card earned and has already been included within the registration fees.
- Required meetings dates are July 20 from 8 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., July 27 and July 28 from 8 a.m.- 3 p.m. in RWC-T1.
- or WR90
- or WR91
- or ACCUPLACER Sentence Skills Score: 70
- Book Cost Notes
This section has low cost book pricing options. Prices are subject to change.
- Estimated Tuition
- Estimated Fees