Federal Direct Loans (FDL), 2015/16
Welcome to RCC’s student loan application process for the 2015/16 school year (’15 Summer through ’16 Spring).
As of July 1, 2010, all federal Stafford student loans are through the U.S. Department of Education's (ED) Federal Direct Loan (FDL) program. This means that if you borrow money toward educational expenses, you will make repayment to a federal government servicer instead of a private lender. For FDL information, visit www.studentloans.gov.
Who is Eligible to Apply for a FDL?
Once you have been issued an Award Letter or an Eligibility Notification from RCC, you may complete the FDL application process. At least half-time (6+ aid-eligible term credits), aid-eligible enrollment is required. Check your financial aid status at www.roguecc.edu/FinancialAid. Per-term loan application deadlines are as follows:
|Loan Application Deadlines:|
|'15 Summer||Thurs., 08/20/15||'16 Winter||Fri., 03/11/16|
|'15 Fall||Fri., 12/04/15||'16 Spring||Fri., 06/03/16|
After reviewing this information, be prepared to enter the following data:
- Your Social Security Number (SSN)
- Your FSA ID (Federal Student Aid; ie username and password) that replaced your Federal PIN after 5/10/15 to electronically sign your FAFSA. Use of another person's FSA ID constitutes fraud. Use only your own FSA ID information.
- Contact information (i.e. phone/mailing address) for 2-3 different, personal references (people who will know how to contact you in 10 years)
Recommended: Take the time to carefully read and research your need before you borrow. There are many helpful tools provided here. Use them to help you plan.
To proceed to the application process, select “Apply” at the end of these introductory pages. You’ll be asked to log into myRogue using your RCC ID and RCC password. If the system cannot confirm your eligibility to apply, follow the directions you are given to find out what you must do next. DO NOT CONTINUE to www.StudentLoans.gov as RCC will NOT be able to certify a loan for you until you become eligible. Otherwise, continue as follows:
- Federal Direct Loan Request/Revision Form. Print so that you can later complete and submit it by fax to 541-471-3532, scan and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit it in-person to Rogue Central Services. Select “Next” to continue to www.StudentLoans.gov.
- Master Promissory Note (MPN). Return to Home and go to My Profile. Select “Completed MPNs” under “My Loan Documents.” All completed MPNs will be displayed.
If you completed an MPN for Rogue Community College on or after 6/1/2010, your multi-year MPN application is complete. If your MPN for RCC is older than 10 years or the message “No records found” is displayed, click on “Complete MPN” under “Master Promissory Note” toward the lower left corner of the screen. This will take you to a screen where you’ll select the type of loan you would like to receive. Select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” (RCC does not participate in the Graduate PLUS, Parent PLUS, or Perkins loan programs), then do the following:
- Complete all Personal Information.
- Complete all School and Loan Information.
- Complete all Reference 1 and 2 Information. (Have unique contact information ready.)
- Review the Terms and Conditions section thoroughly and check that you have done so.
- Confirm the information and edit if needed.
- Electronically sign by entering your name and clicking on “Sign.”
- After your signature is authenticated, review the HTML version of your MPN before submitting.
- You can view and print a PDF version of your MPN.
- Online Loan Entrance Counseling for First-Time-Borrowers (Freshman who never previously borrowed). Use your last name, SSN, date of birth and federal username/password to “Sign In” and complete this second step. Allow an hour so you can carefully learn your borrower rights and responsibilities.
- Be sure your e-mail address is correct. RCC recommends checking the box to get electronic communication.
- Select “Complete Entrance Counseling.” (twice)
- Select 1st option (…to receive loans as an undergraduate student.), then “Continue”.
- Read “Helpful Hints”, “About the Quiz” and “Now You are Ready to Begin” sections, then select “Continue”.
- School State is “OREGON” and School Name is “Rogue Community College” (Grants Pass address).
- Participate in an interactive, 16-part session that includes a short quiz after each section.
- Review your “Borrower Rights and Responsibilities.”
- Select “Submit.”
- Print your confirmation.
You will get a “Congratulations!” message when completed.
- In-Person Loan Counseling for First-Time-Borrowers (Freshman who never previously borrowed). For RCC to process your first student loan, your next step is to attend In-Person Loan Counseling. Since your first disbursement must be scheduled no sooner than 30 days into the first term of your loan period, this should give you time to complete this step. Go to https://www.roguecc.edu/SignUps/LoanCounseling/ to register. Bring a photo ID, arrive on-time to this small group session, plan on participating in the full 2 hours, and come prepared to complete a borrowing plan. Please do NOT bring children.