Kapuza Lighty Annual Scholarship Contest (ID 3985)
- Start Date:
- Driving is a dangerous activity under the best of circumstances. Accidents happen on brightly lit, well-maintained roads to alert, focused drivers, so it’s no surprise that distracted driving significantly increases the risk of an accident. In particular, studies show that texting while driving increases the risk of a car accident by 23 times.
Even with that massive increase in risk, a full third of teen drivers admit to texting or sending emails while driving. Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into a texting-related accident. Among drivers aged 18 to 20 who were involved in an automobile accident and survived, 11 percent said they were texting when they crashed.
No text message is important enough to outweigh the risk of a catastrophic accident. Lives are lost or irreversibly changed due to an easily preventable mistake. In order to combat the texting while driving epidemic, the auto accident lawyers at Kapuza Lighty are offering a $1000 scholarship to interested students.
- Eligibility is restricted to graduating high school seniors OR students enrolled in a college, trade school, or university for the spring 2019 semester.
- Special Criteria:
- Kapuza Lighty Scholarship Essay Contest Overview
• Submit a 500 word essay that answers the following questions:
1. What was the most recent text you sent while driving?
2. Who did you send it to?
3. Every time you send a text while driving, there’s a chance that’s the last message you send to that person. If you’d been in an accident due to sending that text, would you be comfortable knowing that those were the last words you said to that person?
4. Use the remainder of your essay to compose the message you would’ve sent if you’d known it would be your last.
• Eligibility is restricted to graduating high school seniors OR students enrolled in a college, trade school, or university for the spring 2019 semester.
• Essays must be submitted, along with a copy of your transcript or proof of enrollment, no later than 12:00pm EST on Monday, December 3, 2018.
• A winner will be selected and notified by Monday, December 17, 2018.