The Leo W. and Alberta V. Thomas Utz Scholarship (ID 1938)
- Start Date:
- Provides three scholarships annually to three top students (one in each of the following areas - Math, Science and English. The amount of the Scholarship is $4,000 per year for four years each pending academic review and fund performance. The students must maintain a scholarship of 3.25 annually. When applying for this scholarship be sure to write on the application form which scholarship area.
Mail the completed application packet to the national vice chair of the specific scholarship for which you are applying. The application packet must be complete and arranged in the order listed below. ALL original transcripts, letters of recommendation and other required documents must be sent to the national vice chair of the specific scholarship postmarked no later than February 10 in a single package. Photographs will result in disqualification and should not be included. Scholarships are judged and awarded without regard to gender, race, color, religion, national origin or disability. The application package must be stapled or paper clipped in the top left hand corner not to exceed 15 pages. A separate application must be submitted for each scholarship. Incomplete applications will not be considered. NOTE: Application must be typed or computer generated.
• Scholarship Application (must be typed or computer generated – see box below).
• Statement of 1,000 words or less setting forth his/her career objectives (typed).
• Original transcript of high school (must indicate class rank, size, and test scores) or college grades (as applicable). Major must be indicated on original transcript where specific major required. Home schooled students include transcripts for grade 9 through current year must be sent with application.
• All scholarships with a minimum grade point average (GPA) are based on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent GPA on the scale used by the applicable educational institution.
• Letters of recommendation (at least two but not to exceed four from high school or college now attending). Letter should cover applicant’s ability, work habits, integrity, character, potential, and volunteer activities.
• List of extra-curricular activities, honors received, and scholastic achievements (one side of 8 1/2'' x 11'' paper).
• Photocopy of United States citizenship: birth certificate, naturalization papers, or information page of U.S. Passport. Cover your photograph if you are submitting a copy of naturalization or passport pages.
• Financial Need Form: when called for by a specific scholarship (typed or computer generated).
• Self-addressed, stamped postcard.
- National Vice Chair Utz Scholarship
- 8710 W Atwater Drive
- Contact Notes:
- Mail completed scholarship application form to: National Vice Chair Utz Scholarship 8710 W Atwater Drive Boise, ID 83714-1299
- All applicants must be citizens of the United States and must attend or plan to attend an accredited college or university in the United States. DAR chapter sponsorship is not required; however, a chapter or state chairman may work with the applicant to put the information together to send to the DAR Scholarship Committee.
Only applications completed correctly and submitted in one package will be considered. Incorrect applications or applications mailed to the incorrect address will be discarded. No records are returned. Do not submit a personal photo. If your records feature a photo, it must be fully covered. Only winners are notified by the National DAR Scholarship Chairman following the approval of a ruling by the Executive Committee of NSDAR.