OSAC - Ford ReStart Scholarship Program (ID 1078)
- Start Date:
- SCHOLARSHIP AMOUNT
This is a variable, need-based award of up to 90% of the recipient’s unmet financial need with a limit of $25,000 per year. Scholarship award amounts are calculated annually and are dependent on the college cost of attendance (including tuition, fees, room and board, personal costs, etc.), less the federal Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and other scholarships or gift aid. The formula for calculating the Ford ReStart scholarship award is shown below:
Cost of Attendance (COA) for the academic year
(minus) EFC (from FAFSA)
(minus) All grants and other scholarship aid
(minus) Other resources (e.g., veteran’s benefits)
Result x 90% = Ford ReStart Award
(Minimum of $1,000/Maximum of $25,000)
$ 21,000 COA for the academic year
(minus) $ 3,500 EFC (from FAFSA)
(minus) $ 3,800 All other grants & scholarship aid
(minus) $ 0 Other resources
$ 13,700 x 90% = $12,330 Ford ReStart Award
- The Ford Family Foundation established the Ford ReStart Scholarship Program to encourage students, age 25 or older, to begin or return to full-time post-secondary education. Each year, up to 50 applicants are selected from Oregon and Siskiyou County, California to receive a Ford ReStart scholarship.
- The Ford Family Foundation Scholarship Office
- 440 East Broadway Suite 200
- Toll Free:
- (877) 864-2872
- Contact Notes:
- Min Age:
- Financial Need:
- Full(12+ Credits)
This is a need-based, renewable scholarship. To demonstrate financial need, each applicant must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and not exceed the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) limit, as established by the Foundation. Scholarship offers may be rescinded if an applicant’s EFC changes prior to fall term of the application year, and he or she no longer meets the financial need criteria. The FAFSA should be filed as soon as possible after January 1 and must not have a rejected status at the time of the scholarship application review (mid-March).
Applicant must also:
• Be a resident of Oregon or Siskiyou County, California, and meet all residency requirements for college of attendance.
• Be at least 25 years old by March 1 of the application year.
• Seek an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree at an eligible institution (and not previously have earned a bachelor’s degree).
• Be no more than halfway through the completion of their degree program.
• Attend full time, on campus, at an eligible public or private (not forprofit) college, based in his/her home state of Oregon or California, beginning in fall of the application year. (Note: When a reciprocal agreement exists, OIT and SOU may be eligible for residents of Siskiyou County.)
• Have no felony convictions, or have satisfied the terms of any felony conviction by August 1 of the application year.
• Have a reference submit a ReStart Reference online, as part of the application.
- Special Criteria:
- Ford ReStart Scholars who successfully complete their bachelor’s degree may be eligible to apply for up to two years of graduate-level funding.
Each successful candidate will demonstrate:
• A history or working responsibly on the job or in the home by helping to raise a family.
• A commitment to education as a way of improving his/her life and the lives of his/her family and community.
• Involvement in community through volunteer service to others
• Initiative and/or leadership in family, school or community activities.
• Good character.
• An ability to clearly communicate personal strengths and goals.
• An ability to benefit from college as supported by the ReStart Reference.
Interviews are required for all finalists