Helen McCloy MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing (ID 1207)
- Start Date:
- MWA will present two scholarships for up to $500 each.
- The Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship for Mystery Writing seeks to nurture talent in mystery writing—in fiction, nonfiction, playwriting, and screenwriting.
- 2013 Helen McCloyMWA Scholarship Committee
- PO Box 512
- (212) 888-8171
- (212) 888-8107
- The scholarship is open to U.S. citizens or permanent residents only. Membership in Mystery Writers of America is not required to apply. Because the McCloy Scholarship is intended for serious aspiring mystery writers who wish to improve their writing skills, we expect that most applicants will be college students or adult learners.
- Special Criteria:
- Applicants are required to submit:
* ONE Scholarship application form, completed - download application online
* ONE copy of the official description of the writing class/workshop/program (from college catalog, workshop brochure, or other.)
* TWO letters of recommendation (e.g., from teachers who can speak to the applicant’s writing ability)
* FIVE COPIES of a 300- to 500-word essay explaining the applicant's interest in mystery writing
* FIVE COPIES of a sample of mystery writing for judging: either a synopsis and 3 chapters from a novel, or 3 short stories, or 3 short nonfiction pieces, or 1 screenplay or 1 play script
The scholarship committee may also require a letter of acceptance and/or syllabus or other documentation from the writing class/workshop/seminar to be attended.
Mail all materials in one complete package to:
2013 Helen McCloy/MWA Scholarship Committee, PO Box 512 Charlottesville, VA 22902