Army Emergency Relief - Dependent Children Scholarship (ID 1171)
- Start Date:
- Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private non-profit organization with the primary mission of providing financial assistance to Soldiers and their dependents in time of valid emergency need. The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program was established in 1976 as a secondary mission to help Army families with undergraduate college expenses for their dependent children.
The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program offers scholarships based on financial need as evidenced by information submitted on the FAFSA. The MG James Ursano Program also offers scholarship funds for academic excellence and leadership/achievement.
The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program is not an entitlement and applications are not automatically approved.
The MG James Ursano Scholarship Program will not be awarded to any student for more than four academic years, for second undergraduate degrees, or for graduate degree programs.
The scholarship funds are mailed directly to the school prior to each fall and spring semester or each fall, winter, and spring term. Funds are not provided for summer classes. The funds may be used for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and school room and board (either on or off campus).
- Min GPA:
- Student must be enrolled full time as an undergraduate student for the entire academic year at a school accredited by the U.S. Department of Education. (Because financial need is already met, students attending Service Academies are not eligible.)
• Student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
• Student must be a dependent of a Soldier on federal active duty, a retired Soldier, or a deceased active or deceased retired Soldier
To be a dependent, the student must:
Be under the age of 23 (Eligibility ends at the end of the semester/term in which the
student reaches their 23rd birthday. Example – turning 23 in December would mean the scholarship would be awarded for fall term ONLY.)
Be registered in DEERS
Remain unmarried for the entire academic year
Not be a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or other active duty military branch
- Special Criteria:
- The applicant must first create a profile on our website, WWW.AERHQ.ORG, under the Scholarships Tab. Then, the application may be completed. Once the application is completed, the required documents will be displayed. All requested documents must be submitted online by May 1, 2013. Do not mail or email documents.