Soroptimist Women's Opportunity Awards (ID 1103)
- Start Date:
- The Women’s Opportunity Awards program involves three levels of cash awards. The program begins at the local Soroptimist club-level, where award amounts vary. Local-level award recipients become eligible for region-level awards of either $3,000 or $5,000. Region-level award recipients then become eligible to receive one of three international-level awards of $10,000.
- Women's Opportunity Awards
The Women’s Opportunity Awards program assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and employment prospects.
Each year, more than $1.5 million is awarded to more than 1,000 women, many of whom have overcome enormous obstacles including poverty, domestic violence and/or drug and alcohol abuse. Women’s Opportunity Award recipients may use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, such as books, childcare, tuition and transportation.
In addition to providing the primary financial support for their families, eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or have been accepted to, a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program and must demonstrate financial need. Also, please note only residents of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries and territories are eligible to apply.
- Contact Notes:
- Completed applications must be emailed to the appropriate Soroptimist region. Applications will be be forwarded to a local participating Soroptimist club. Applications must be emailed to the region contact by December 1 so they can be forwarded to a local club before the December 15 club deadline.
Applications submitted directly to Soroptimist headquarters in Philadelphia will NOT be considered.
Please refer to the Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Awards Frequently Asked Questions or contact email@example.com.
- Financial Need:
- Step 1: Determine if you are eligible
Eligible applicants are women who:
•Provide the primary financial support for her dependents (including children, spouse, siblings and/or parents)
•Demonstrate financial need
•Are enrolled in, or have been accepted to, a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program
•Are motivated to achieve their educational and career goals
•Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries or territories
•Have not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Award; are not a Soroptimist member, employee of Soroptimist or immediate family of either
- Special Criteria:
- Step 2: Complete the application
It is very important that you first save the writable PDF application file onto your computer or a USB/thumb drive if you are working on a public computer. Otherwise, you risk losing any information you have entered and will need to begin again. Once you have completed the application, select “Save As” from the “File” menu and change the file name (for example, “WOAappLG.pdf,” where “LG” are your initials.) Then click “Save.”
Step 3: Obtain References
You will need two different people (NOT related to you) to fill out the reference form. Please email this form to your references and request that they email it back to you when complete.
Step 4: Email your application
Send completed applications (including the application and two reference forms) to firstname.lastname@example.org.