APPENDIX 2: BOARD HEARING
The following policy is applicable to employee non-renewal of contract, termination or other situations where a hearing before the Rogue Community College Board of Education is required or provided by law.
- The employee shall be notified, in writing, of the pending action to non-renew, dismiss or demote and shall have fifteen (15) days from the date of the notice to make a written request for a hearing before the board. Upon written request from the employee, the college will provide the employee with a written copy. of the reasons for the action, which shall provide the basis for the hearing.
- The president shall set a time and place for the hearing before the board. The hearing shall not be less than ten (10) days; and, not more than sixty (60) days after written request for the hearing is received by the president from the employee.
- The chair of the board, or his/her representative, shall conduct the hearing.
- At the time and place of the hearing, the following procedure shall be
- The administrator and/or his/her representative shall present the basis for the recommendation for action and may call witnesses and introduce documentary and evidentiary material.
- The employee may present testimony and witnesses and introduce documentary and other evidentiary materials as a defense.
- The administrator and/or his/her representative may submit testimony or other evidence in rebuttal to matters submitted by the employee.
- Witnesses need not be sworn and must submit to cross-examination. For good cause shown, testimony of a witness who is unavailable for attendance at the hearing may be submitted and received in the form of an affidavit.
- Documentary evidence must be an original or a true copy thereof.
- All testimony of the hearing shall be electronically recorded. A written transcript shall be prepared from the electronic record upon request at the expense of the party requesting the transcript.
- Both sides may be represented by an attorney or other representative of his/her choice.
- All hearings before the Board of Education will be executive session unless a public hearing is requested in writing by the employee. Request of a public hearing shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality of all matters in the employee's personnel file.
- Following closing statements and conclusion of the hearing, the Board of Education shall take final action in public session, and the Board's decision in said matter shall be final.